If you love olives, have I the recipe for you. This olive spread is breathtaking and comforting. Few things in life balance that combination well. I've had this recipe for decades yet only make it about once a year. It's kind of special that way.
Olivada from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin
4 ozs. (about 1 cup) oil-cured black olives*
1 6 oz. can pitted black olives
2 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1 to 2 garlic cloves, pressed (I use more because I love garlic)
Pinch each dried oregano, basil, rosemary, and thyme
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
*If oil-cured olives are unavailable, you can substitute a more assertive brine-cured variety such as Greek Kalamata olives.
Makes about 1 cup
1. Pit the oil-cured olives one at a time by placing each on a cutting board and resting the flat side of a large knife on it. Thump the knife with the heel of your hand --- the olive will split and the pit can be removed easily. When done, you should have a generous 1/2 cup of pulp.
2. Drain the canned olives in a strainer and shake out the liquid.
3. Combine the olive oil and garlic in a blender or processor and process until smooth and creamy or cloudy in appearance.
4. Add the olives and herbs and blend just until the mixture reaches a nice spreading consistency. The Olivada should not be perfectly smooth. (Turn off the machine and scrape down the sides as necessary.) Scrape the paste into a serving bowl and season with black pepper. Let sit 20 minutes before serving, or cover and chill for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before eating.
Kelly and I had some the other day mixed into warm brown rice. Yum. I've also had it spread on toast (sometimes with a piece of cheese melted on top :-) I've probably made scrambled eggs with it, too. And it's delicious mixed into a bowl of pasta, with or without tomato sauce. Have it with chips, as pictured above, but it's very rich...perfect for the tiniest of snacks.
Oh, and a little goes a long way, like pesto. The 1 cup that this recipe yields would be enough to serve as an appie for a group/party. I use about 1 tsp. of it to mix into a serving of rice or pasta for myself.
Bon appetit!
1 comment:
Bummer. I can't stand olives. :(
Post a Comment