Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mother earth

Yet another example of the power of Mother Earth.  I do not like celery.  When I was a kid, I hated it.  It was one of the few foods that would make me gag (carrots were the other one).

When I started making vegetable-chicken stock soups (back when we became Waldorf-y), celery re-entered my life.  The whole mirepoix thing.  And I discovered that celery, when cooked as part of an undeniable homemade soup, not only did not make me gag...but I liked it.

Yesterday we received a bouquet of celery in our CSA batch of veggies.  This variety of celery pretty much needs to be cooked because it is quite spicy.  I cut the ends and washed the stalks to put away in the fridge.

And I was awestruck by the leaves.


They were so beautiful.  And fragrant.  So fresh.  (And I had a feeling they had nutritional value.)  How could I throw these away?  I considered asking my vegan neighbors whether they'd like to use the leafy bounty.  But, there was a lot and...I found myself wanting to use them myself.

Huh?!  Me and celery.  We've come a long way.


The color of the leaves is truer in this shot.  I made a simple soup.  I sautéed the chopped celery leaves in olive oil (about half of the bunch, the other half I froze for green smoothies) and then added about half a box of beef broth.  I doubled the liquid with filtered water and then popped in a veggie bouillon cube.  After it cooked for a bit, I added some honey for a touch of sweet.

Gem and I liked it (though he only wanted a bit of leaves).  Sag did not care for it.


These end-of-season turnips were freebies at our CSA pick-up site.  I had just flipped through my new fermenting book the night before.  I thought I remembered the author (a graduate of my high school) mentioning turnips amongst the many vegetables one can ferment tastily.  So, inspired, I grabbed a few handfuls of these ugly beauties.

(Full disclosure: I have been a vocal advocate of not using Amazon to buy books for about a year now.  But, this book, a hardcover discounted 40%...I bought this from Amazon.)

I will let you know how the fermenting goes!

Peace and local organic veggies.

No comments: