Thursday, November 24, 2011

What wouldn't have happened

It sure has been a relaxing morning.  A string of experiences which would not have happened if we were in the car heading north right now.

 Sag was delighted.

 Inge's dip.

my breakfast.

Gem was delighted.

Inge's dip.  My brother's wife, Lisa, made this years and years ago.  My copy of the recipe is a printed e-mail dated December, 1999.  At the time, I was nonplussed by these ingredients which tasted so good.  Capers...anchovies...I was not yet an adventurous cook (I truly have Gem, who was born the following year, to thank for that) and I never made the dip.

This year, our plan was to go to Cap's aunt's house for Thanksgiving dinner.  I was eating dairy and I'd be surrounded by other dairy eaters.  As I flipped through my recipe book, I came across Inge's dip.  I enjoyed anchovies while in Barcelona and my interest in this recipe was piqued.

Inge's dip is not for everyone, as I learned last night.  I had bought all the ingredients for Massachusetts, but ended up bringing it to Queens.  Lisa had some nostalgic bites.  My sister found it too mayo-y (she is a recovering mayo-phobe who consumes mayo very rarely and with a lot of discrimination).  My mother found it way too salty (no added salt called for in the recipe, but my anchovy fillets were salted).

Me, I love it.  It is very creamy.  But, I find this dip to contain a lot of bright and strong flavors which go a long way in cutting through the strong cream factor.  I'm going off dairy again soon, so I am savoring each dollop right now.

Inge's Dip

1 Tbs chopped capers
1 cup chopped parsley
1 pint mayo
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chopped anchovies (I used a 2oz can of flat fillets in olive oil)
1 Tbs dried basil
1 Tbs Gulden's mustard (I used Dijon)
3 Tbs sour cream
juice from 1/2 lemon

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them together.

Easy and tasty and holiday special.

No comments: