Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Solstice greetings

Cap and I used to have Winter Solstice parties back in the day.  A tradition that fell by the wayside when the kids came along and we moved away from Cambridge.

Here in Enn-Jay we began a new Solstice tradition with another family.  On each Solstice and Equinox we go to a local pond and hike around it.

This Winter Solstice, I am marking the season without Cap and without our friends.  (Cap made it safely to Massachusetts where he is spending time with his mom who is in hospital.  Our hike was relocated since the kids and I were car-less.  Then I had to cancel our participation because Sag spiked a fever last night that traveled to near 103º 'round 2am.)

I had a magical couple of hours this morning watching not only the lunar eclipse, but the bright twinkling stars that came out for the occasion.  I still feel a nearly overwhelming sensation of love and gratitude.  I felt very connected and energized looking at the stars, my brethren, craning my neck at the bedroom window.

I sky gazed in between tending first to Sag for an hour and then Baxter for an hour.  Restless boys in the wee hours.

Today I have a golden soup simmering on the stove and am catching the Sun where I can.




Peace, love and light to you this Winter Solstice.  Here's to celestial kindred twinkling and shining upon us all this day and season.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Very glad to hear Cap made it safely as the weather conditions were not good yesterday. I hope his mom is doing better.

I'm assuming Sag's fever is done and that he's feeling better? I hope so. Baxter looks very comfortable in your home :-)

We had the family gathering that usually interfered with your Winter Solstice on Sunday. I think I made it to 1 maybe 2 of your parties and always wished I could have made more. I like the idea of your new tradition.

shirley said...

Jaim, I was thinking that when you mentioned the spinach dip! You could rarely make it to our parties, true, true. I think Julie's the only one who will read this post and be able to envision exactly what I'm talking about :-)

Baxter is quite comfortable here. We love having him over. It's kind of like being grandparents/aunts/uncles...we can enjoy all the fun stuff while it's novel and then send him home :-)

Julie_c said...

I LOVED those parties!!!

We did a Yankee Swap party a couple years ago here. It was fun, but not the blood-thirsty sport it was at your place. ;)

shirley said...

Hahaha, it was a blood-sport! Between the swap and the Name Game you really did have to arrive with your A-game in order to survive :-)