Saturday, December 04, 2010

Pokemon tournament

I took the kids to their first Pokemon tournament today.  We were in the comic book store for nearly five hours.  It was only by chance that I had eaten a substantial breakfast and was wearing shoes with good support.  I had no idea we would be there for so long.  (I had no snacks/water and Sag had not eaten breakfast.)

Pokemon gaming culture is fascinating.  I learned today that most Pokemon card gamers come from three states: Washington, Florida and New Jersey.  (There were world champs present in the room today!)  I found it refreshing to see girls, boys, men and women, with an unexpected diversity in age and ethnicity.

I am too drained to go into much else.  The kids enjoyed themselves despite the incredibly long periods of waiting.  I bought myself some cards.  I'd like to learn the game to be able to play the kids.

Here are some pics:


Registering at 10:30 am having no idea what we're in for...


Sag trading with a "Senior" before the tournament started (an hour late).  (The boys are both in the "Junior" division.  Gem will move into "Senior" when he turns 11.)  Here you can see the visor Sag decorated with some Pokemon stickers on the brim.  He made his own tournament gear...how freaking cute is that?!  In the pic above you can see one of the judges wearing a handmade hat, too.  A space where one is free to get their geek on.  I love it.


Gem doing some trading.  He has made the observation that playing Pokemon has made him braver about talking to people he doesn't know.


Commence Round 1!!!  (The "Juniors" played four rounds today before breaking for "lunch" at 3:30...)

3 comments:

Tamar said...

And, as I'm sure you know, there are other homeschoolers involved in Pokemon. I think I spotted CJ in that last picture, and isn't Leo into it? I too find it a fascinating subculture. D never had any interest, so I haven't had an excuse to get up close and personal with it. Thank you for sharing this glimpse.

shirley said...

Hey Tamar, I didn't realize you were reading :-) Yes, that's CJ. Leo does play, but wasn't there yesterday. We met Matt and his mom yesterday. I have to say, I've started playing this morning and am really enjoying it! Taking deep breaths as I can get very hyperfocused on stuff that turns me/my brain on (having to be a responsible adult is for the birds... ;-)

Shannon said...

Very cool! I always love it when people feel "free to get their geek on" (wonderful phrase ;-)

I tried playing and it confused the heck out of me. Owen sort of wants to play but I think it will make more sense to him when he can read.