Thursday, December 09, 2010

Peanut butter

not my image.

I rarely eat peanut butter.  

But, there's always some in the apartment because Cap loves the stuff.  He doesn't eat red meat and doesn't care much for beans or nuts or tofu.  He gets regular doses of protein from tuna and peanut butter (and chicken and turkey to a lesser extent, as well as, the occasional plate of scrambled eggs).

I don't dislike peanut butter, it simply is not a food that calls to me.

Until it does.  Like it did a few minutes ago.  I was in the kitchen putting a black bean sauce together on the stove top and unloading the dishwasher.  Gem was preparing himself some toast with peanut butter and strawberry jam.  We were marveling at what we could see (through the dark) of the enormous pile of dirt and debris under the window (the landlord is putting in new steps down to the basement).

The peanut butter caught my eye and before I could say "whatever", I had grabbed a salad spoon and onto my tongue plopped a gob of peanut butter.

Oh my goodness.  Manna from heaven.

It was so rich and unbelievably satisfying.  I tossed my spoon into the sink and turned back to the table to see Gem holding out his knife which was ready for its own airborne voyage to the sink.  I dipped the knife right back into the jar and had another party in my mouth.

Simple pleasures.  Wonder-full.

1 comment:

JET said...

I only eat peanut butter in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups...does that count?!