Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Smoking

I had a dream. I think it was last night. Not because I remember that it was, but because I slept better last night. I woke twice, once because of a kid and once because of me, but fell back asleep pretty quickly both times. Cap massaged my shoulders and upper back before I went to bed which was great. They were very tight.

I am reading One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. She's a writer from Scotland who was recommended to me by Stephen King. She has a recurring character who is a middle aged ex-detective. Murder mystery type stuff. Also, she creates a web of characters, full of idiosyncrasies and flaws, who are disparate at first, but then end up intertwined by the end.

I read the following line this morning and my dream came back to me:

"Julia, now wan rather than flushed, came outside with him, where she smoked a cigarette with a frightening kind of purpose, her inhalations punctuated by rasping breaths."

Suddenly I remembered having a dream in which I was smoking. Inhalations with definite purpose. I still have muscle memory of such inhalations from when I used to smoke, for a period of time during college, and then again, the year after college, the first time I lived in Japan.

I don't remember anything else from the dream. This is not unusual. But, I can still feel the residual meditativeness. It gave me a feeling of being grounded, of calm, of strength.

P.S. I am bothered by the waft of someone else's perfume permeating my air space while reading this book, borrowed from the library. It's creepy. Not to mention perfume can give me headaches.

3 comments:

Julie_c said...

Is it perfume from the book? Wow - that must have been a strong odor in the person's house! My nose is funny. Most of the time it's not too sensitive. But there are certain odors that make it stand at attention. Patchouli is one of them. Bleh!

shirley said...

Yes. The previous borrower's perfume is trapped in the pages of the book. Ew.

jet said...

Yes, welcome to my world of perfumes and headaches. The first thing I do when I get a magazine is go through and rip out all the perfume ads. Sometimes the magazine stinks so bad I can't read it.

I don't think I ever knew that you smoked. I'm glad you were able to give it up.