We went to the library last week after we had lunch with my mom and dad. This is the list of the titles we borrowed. No time for authors at the moment. This is simply a glimpse.
I really love going to the library.
Abel's Island
The Real Thief
Brrr!
A Baby Sister for Frances
The Inside-Outside Book of Washington, D.C.
The Friends
A Big Cheese for the White House
The Uncertain Path
Grandmother Winter
It Happened in the White House
Home Schooling on a Shoestring
The Rising Force
Peanuts Every Sunday
Like a Windy Day
A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Empire Strikes Back
Read Me a Story
Inside the Worlds of Star Wars, Episode 1
The Homeschooling Book of Answers
I Have a Dream: The Story Behind MLK Jr.'s Most Famous Speech
Star wars, Episode III, Revenge of the Sith (dvd)
It's So Amazing: A Book About Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
What Presidents Are Made Of
The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
Bedtime for Frances
Arrested Development Season 3 (dvd)
Wonder Pets! Save the Beetles (dvd)
Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Treehouse series)
Hellboy II (dvd)
There are some themes. I always feel a bit sheepish, but I take full advantage of the highlighted books in their special display areas. I'm always kind of surprised that other people haven't simply plucked them off the shelves for themselves. (This month in our Children's library: MLK, Presidents, and Winter.)
Stephen, maybe you can enlighten me. Is it okay to borrow those books or should I be leaving them for others? (I don't take every single one...just the ones that appeal to me.)
9 comments:
Are you allowed to borrow that many books at one time? Can you read that many books in the time allotted?!
I have told myself I need to cut back on my spending...after I went a little crazy buying myself some Xmas gifts- new camera lens, camera books, winter wear, etc. One way to cut back for me is to slow down on buying books and instead go to the library.
Looks like you'll be busy reading!
in 1931, a famous Indian librarian, S.R. Ranganathan published The Five Laws of Library Science; the first law, "books are for use," is something that most librarians would agree with completely. So, yes, do take those books off the displays; they were put there to highlight their presence in the collection and ensure that they actually got borrowed. It's also good to know that libraries rely on steady gate counts (the number of folks coming the door) and circulation numbers to justify their budgets to the government entities that fund them.
The limit for books is really high in our library. We've had upwards of fifty books out at a time.
Although with renewal time we can have the books for up to 8 weeks, we do not always read every single book we borrow.
Reading to/with the kids is something I am trying to consciously increase in the coming months. I've noticed I don't do this as much as I used to since they've become independent readers.
Thanks, Stephen, I figured as much, but I sometimes can't shake the feeling of being a book hog.
LOL! I know how it feels sometimes ;-) But I agree, it's what libraries are for. And ditto on the budget comment above too.
I also sometimes take out books we don't read but usually it's because when we got home, the book didn't turn out to be what we were looking for. For me, if a novel doesn't grab me in a chapter or two, I put it down.
Mainly, I just try to not take out so many books that I can't keep track of them.
Goodness gravy - how did you carry them all. Also, i would be afraid I'd lose one and then owe $37.00! You must be better than I. But I, too, am trying to be better about borrowing from the library instead of juts purchasing books. I just finished The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I didn't really get into it until page 150 or so, then I was hooked. I'm also reading the Uglies trilogy. I'm on the third one, Specials, that my friend is getting me from her school library.
Library kick ass!
I am pretty vigilant about our library books. We always have a designated storage space for them (a basket or a shelf). Not that the books don't make their way onto the floors, beds, couch, under the couch, etc.
I use the library's online system so the information about which books we have out, when they are due, etc. is always a click away.
We are pretty ritualized at this point around going back to the library and so the kids know the drill and are pretty good about collecting books to return as I read titles off the computer screen.
Also, until I brought my library copy of "Twilight" to Florida with us, we had never brought a library book out of the house unless it was to go back to the library. (Our car is a repository of books, drawing paper, pens, pencils, toys, etc.)
Julie, do you mean the Ugly Doll books? We've been waiting for the third one to be published---didn't realize it was out already!
i don't think it is but if it is that is good anyway sag has the ugly doll ugly gide #1 & #2
No no. It's a science fictions series. The first one is Uglies, the second is Pretties, and the third is Specials.
They're YA.
There is a nice service called Library Elf that can help you manage the books you've checked out. Depending on the kind of library catalog your library has, it can connect up with your account info stored in the library catalog and offer you notifications of upcoming due dates via email, RSS, or text messages. I've been using it for years and have found it really helpful.
Post a Comment