Thursday, October 16, 2008

Julie's muffins

An unexpected series of events led to my walking through the automatic doors of our still-fairly-local super Whole Paycheck this morning. Cap doesn't get paid till tomorrow, but I was in need of certain necessary items of the feminine persuasion.

One good thing about this store is that it tends to inspire me to think outside whatever usual box I'm in (I tend to be a creature of habit). So as I walked in, I dug a little deeper into my mind, past the traction of the last few days.

Soup. Of course. It's fall, but my kitchen habits have remained in summer and I had completely forgotten about soup. Turnips, carrots, and a bunch of fresh spinach (its color a robust green) went into my cart (they were joined in the pot later by Mr. Garlic, Ms. Ginger, a combo of veggie and chicken broth and some leftover tomato sauce).

A Red Kuri squash based on the positive raves garnered it by my sister earlier this week. Some sweet potatoes imagined as oven-baked fries. And grapes. Has anyone else noticed how much cheaper organic grapes are this year?

Then I remembered Julie's muffins. Pineapple coconut. A can of crushed pineapple was added to the cart.

These muffins are great. Mine came out bordering on savory (I was eyeballing the honey and probably got in 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup and I eyeballed the vegan butter and probably put in nearly 1/2 cup...and I just noticed I was supposed to melt the butter...oops), but they are so buttery tasting and the pineapple and coconut make them moist and dense---I love them!

Try 'em, I think you'll love 'em too.

1 comment:

Julie_c said...

I'm so glad your muffins turned out well. I love them too!