Sunday, October 19, 2008

The weekend is winding down

We just got home from Anna's birthday party. Traditional German cake with raisins and dried lemon, a medieval theme, homemade games, trinkets that included stones from the Baltic Sea, taking the edge off the sugar high dodging balls in the backyard as the light faded. We rocked the autumn afternoon.

It was a busy day for us. We started the day picking pumpkins and apples. My mom came out from Manhattan. I'll post pics tomorrow. The pumpkins the kids chose are HUGE.

Then we drove to the Japanese supermarket and had lunch and shopped. My mom took the shuttle bus back into the city from there.

Other tidbits from the weekend:

• I had an appointment with Vinny that was amazing. I've been practicing qi gong more regularly and felt the difference in our session.

• Made a yummy pumpkin cake with maple frosting.

• Bought some yarn (just can't help it---most of it was on sale). Some Seduce for Barbra, Cascade 220 for Audrey, and sock yarn for Gem, Sag, and myself. Also some secret stuff for Mummu who knows there's something in the works for her, but doesn't know exactly what :-) Also, my first set of sock needles! I was feeling a bit sorry for myself not to be at Rhinebeck, but, man, I will be there next year with Wendy and it's going to kick ass.

• Finished my One Row Handspun scarf and wove in the ends of Julie's and Cap's scarves. Will post pics soon. I've been ambivalent about the scarf I knit for myself. But, I gave it a trial run today and liked the warmth it provided. It was cozy. I'm not wild about the colors for some reason, even though it goes with my basic wardrobe: predominantly dark pink and purple with dashes of red and orange.

• Did some research on Atlantic City and am feeling a charge about our impending weekend away. Cap and I will leave Friday afternoon and return Sunday afternoon. Sandy will come hold down the fort for us. This is our free time share trip. A holiday for the family fell through so I ended up booking us a weekend away. Somewhere not too far, with an ocean view, that we had never been to...and Alantic City is what resulted. Gamblers we are not, but we will enjoy spending time together with no agenda, no schedule, no needs having to be met but our own.

• The Red Sox are providing much entertainment as they defied all sorts of odds by winning on Thursday night and then again last night. We'll be watching them tonight, and trying to watch the Patriots in between.

Have a great start to your week!!

2 comments:

Julie_c said...

In case I forget later - I hope you and Cap have a wonderful weekend away. Mike and I were thinking for out upcoming 10th anniversary in June that we might stick Cam with Mary and have an overnight in NY. It's good to get away sometimes.

shirley said...

Thanks!

It is good to get away sometimes, if that's what one wants to do...and the timing is right.

I feel like this is the first time we are making the time to go away by ourselves where it feels right in every way.

The other times there was a level of stress/anxiety I felt that, not surprisingly, made its way into my enjoyment of my time away which was unfortunate.

Not this time though! I am very psyched and feel no stress at all :-)

One of the things I'm looking forward to is the *two* nights away. I think this is going to feel very luxurious and really give us time to unwind and be together.

Do I sound like an old married person with kids or what?!