I got my period this morning.
Clearly, my menses will always, always get the better of me, when it comes to the PMS blinders. It's the nature of the she-beast, though, no? Like this cycle, I have never been able to get past thinking/feeling "well, maybe it's PMS". I have never been able to know that's what it is and settle down rather than shriek or feel desolate.
This time, my mind played a trick on me and I lost a week. So, even though last Friday was the 28th day since my last period (and I was very regular for years), I very much thought my period wasn't due till this weekend. Hence, not being sure of the PMS because the timing was a bit off.
Even though I knew it might be PMS, and even though I informed Cap of this, when I am in the throes, nothing is enough. The nature of my she-beast.
I woke up this morning and my stomach/gut ached for the first time in a couple of days (a "symptom" the switch to Paleo had already begun to smooth out) and when I stepped out of bed, my feet were stiff and ache-y (another "symptom" that has come and gone over the past few years that had recently been gone). I wondered what the heck was going on...till I went to the bathroom.
My mind feels pretty clear (yay!), but the de rigueur wiped out mantle is heavy on my shoulders. It's okay, though, because rather than feeling/being mired in overwhelmed as I have been the past couple of days, I know in my bones that this is a brief way station on my path to well-being.
I made some mayo this morning while the kids ate breakfast (Gem held the bowl for me while I whisked, whisked, whisked).
And, though all I wanted was a cookie or two with my iced coffee, I forced myself to eat some protein, instead. On my way to the trashcan to chuck the last of the spurned home fries, I was overtaken by the desire not to waste food and tossed them, instead, into my favorite bowl with some mayo and pesto and hard-boiled eggs. (Notice how different the color of the yolk is? Anthony's hens have been suffering from the heat, too! The eggs are smaller and the yolks nowhere near their usual orange when cooked.)
Peace and love.
1 comment:
At this point, "regularity" is a memory. Trust your instinct. If you think it might be pms, it probably is, even if you don't actually get your period. It's like ghost limb syndrome - just because it isn't there anymore doesn't mean your body forgets about it. The cycle, which has been with you for so man decades, is going to take some time to clear itself out. Your instincts are generally spot-on. So treat it like pms even if your period doesn't show up.
Feel better, friend.
xoxo
Post a Comment