During this Whole30 I am noticing that, in a way, it is taking longer to feel awesome. But, there is awesomeness embedded in my awareness of the fatigue and aches and pains which are taking longer to dissipate.
For example, I don't think I am eating much less than when I have done Whole30s before...but my body is experiencing it much differently. I am encouraged by the fact that I am at a place where if I need to eat, even if there isn't anything at the ready, I am not wanting the ease/convenience of grabbing a piece a toast. And I am way past cravings for anything not Paleo.
Cap and the kids went out for Japanese food the other night, mostly because the kitchen was in disarray with the fridge-on-the-fritz. I opted to stay home because there was nothing I could eat at the restaurant...but also because I could envision myself eating an avocado roll or two.
The grip of inflammation is loosening on my body and I can feel the effects of muscle tension all over. "Normally", I don't feel these pains because when I am eating inflammatory foods my body goes into what I imagine as a sort of traction. The energy, or whatever, becomes so immovable, held in place by the inflammation response, that I don't feel how tight my muscles actually are.
I am almost mid-way and I am happily keep on keeping on.
There has been a brief weather respite and last night we took a walk at Gem's suggestion. Today has been muggy again and it has been raining for a couple of hours.
I am enjoying the rearranged kitchen. Sag has been vocal about his dismay. I felt crappy this afternoon, but, again with the creeping bits of awesome, my mind took its time sifting through the algebra of the experience...and I realized a cup of Chinese herbal tea was just what my internal doctor was ordering. (It has been a dog's age since I've had this tea!) Then, I noticed what the cup of tea reflected in the kitchen table's new location.
I spent time organizing the new fridge. Out came the labeler. I love this gadget. The new fridge is slightly different than the old one and I liked puzzling over what to put where, maximizing ease of use and space.
Boy, did that thing fill up fast. (The beginning of the week tends to see a fuller fridge because we food shop weekly on the weekend.) Our CSA share comes on Tuesdays, so some of this needs to be eaten down by then! The most significant difference between the two fridges is that this one doesn't have a "meat" drawer. So we are losing one of the produce crisper drawers to meat/cheese.
I made a new-to-me recipe tonight: Primal Thai Beef. It was the bomb. A serious flavor bomb. I had most of the less-perishable ingredients on hand which made putting this together a snap (and economical). The sauce is what really makes the dish. I think the protein could be switched out with another type of meat, or tofu, no problem. We have a buttload of ginger powder so I subbed that for the fresh ginger. I was skeptical of adding the onion and garlic (along with the bell pepper) after the meat was halfway browned, but it totally worked. I skipped the carrots because that's how your hated-carrots-as-a-kid blogger rolls. Also, this recipe calls for zero salt. I knew fish sauce is very salty, but, again, I was skeptical. The resulting dish totally did not need salt. And, finally, it was so refreshing to make something Thai-inspired that didn't call for coconut milk!
So, so good, you guys. Eating this made me really happy. Sag loved it, Gem did not try it. I will be making this again, no doubt.
Peace and love.

No comments:
Post a Comment