I tried my hand at frittata tonight. It is surprising that I don't make frittatas more often than almost never because I love eggs and I am a fan of the one pot/one pan meal.
The harmonic convergence of cooking for friends (folks who share my food aesthetic), trying as much as possible to use what I had (scraping the bottom of the checking account barrel till next payday), and an intriguing recipe which crossed my virtual desk last week (pasta in frittata, really?), resulted in one yummy dinner dish.
I made some subs to use pantry and fridge items rather than spending money...fussili for the penne, spinach (CSA) and roasted red peppers for the fresh red and yellow bell peppers, and garlic scape for the chives.
I left out the mint because it did not appeal. I was happy to use the parley from the farm...click to embiggen to see how bright and lovely green it is! I used plain coconut yogurt, the one item bought special to make this tonight and next time will look for something without sugar added to it. I could taste the yogurt...and it didn't detract from the dish overall, but it did distract.
It was a big hit with our friends. Gem tried it (he is beginning to incorporate eggs into his repertoire again), but didn't care for it. Sag ate a wedge, but says it was only "okay". Cap did not try it because he said it looked "quiche-y" and he doesn't like quiche.
I liked it. (It was really outshone by the roasted chicken which was particularly succulent and delectable tonight.) I really like how versatile (mix and match the veggies/aromatics/herbs you're in the mood for) and hearty (the pasta was a great fit) the recipe is. I will definitely make it again and look forward to it.

4 comments:
I LOVE frittata's! I try and make one at least every month - more frequently in the colder months. I've never added pasta to one before. The recipe looks yummy, so I think a pasta frittata is in our near future :-)
Yummy :-)
I'm so glad that worked out for you. I tried a frittata once and I can remember being less than impressed with it.
Maybe you could use canned coconut milk instead of yogurt?
Thanks for the suggestion, Julie. I'm not sure whether the yogurt was meant to add 'body'/texture or acid or both...I guess I'll find out :-) I think the pasta gave this frittata a nice lift out of the "eggy" zone.
I had a small piece last night after it had been in the fridge awhile and it seemed creamier, almost cheesy, possibly because of the yogurt. The sweetness was also quite diminished.
Post a Comment