As I just typed the words "summer afternoon" Mary Ann popped into my head. From Gilligan's Island. Something about a gingham print blouse tied together above the belly button and crisp white shorts make me think "summer". I preferred Mary Ann to Ginger. And Betty to Veronica. And Betty to Wilma, come to think of it...though that's a different sort of dichotomy altogether.
The skies darkened and have opened up. It's already beginning to lighten though the rain continues. The kids and I are inside with the air conditioning going (it's been on since 9am and has been a life saver for me), we've been playing Wii baseball and now are taking a cherry eating break. Finn was very wary of the remote controllers having never seen us with them before (nothing gets by that one). But he was snoozing on my foot soon enough.
I am happy this afternoon, staying cool and dry with the kids and pooch, enjoying sweetness on a variety of levels. And I am grateful. But, there is an idea/ideal that is part of my make-up. The energetic good girl in non-schlumpy clothes. Never breaking a sweat on a tropical island while taking care of business. And there is a wistfulness in me...felt consciously only from time to time...that I could be someone different. that I should be someone different.
2 comments:
It's kinda funny that this post is about MaryAnn and the last one was about Ginger.
I prefer MaryAnn to hang out with, but as a girl I was fascinated by Ginger.
That is funny...didn't make that connection. :-)
Post a Comment