Monday, January 04, 2010

Another sign

My shoulders are starting to ache.  My body is communicating to me and I should move away from the computer, but there's one more post in me here.  Something that's been percolating in my mind.  Nothing deep, but kind of "now".

I recently saw two movies.  *spoiler alert


and


They were similar enough that comparisons were inevitable.  Both have cute white male protagonists and the movies tell the stories of their trials and tribulations in the romantic love department.

One notable difference was that DM is about a guy who is in his thirties and 500 is about a guy in his twenties. 

The guy in DM (Ryan Reynolds, who I am calling the Cary Grant of the aughts :-) is divorced and has a kid.  There are three relationships he's chronicling in the course of the movie.

The guy in 500 (Joseph Gordon-Levitt who has come a long way from 3rd Rock From The Sun) is single, meets a girl, falls hard, loses girl, is upset, but then experiences an uptick in life as an effect of their relationship despite its brevity/ending.

Both movies were enjoyable and well cast.  Both movies showed how the random connections we make with each other can shape our lives, our feelings, our thoughts (which I dig). 

I was surprised to realize that I liked DM more than 500.  Partly because 500 is a more "indie" movie and I tend to favor those over mainstream fare.  And so I've been kind of thinking about that.  And realizing that I probably liked the movie more because I could better relate to and appreciate the situations that the 30 somethings were experiencing more than the 20 somethings.  There was a difference in the resonance in the watching.

This aging thing...it's so interesting.  At late 43, I am understanding in ways that I haven't up till now, that, yes, I am getting older.  It's not unpleasant.  But, it is a new feeling for me.  I have always just felt "myself".  These days, I feel aging infringing on this self-conceptualization.  Whether it's liking DM more than 500 or whether it's confronting new and clear synaptic breakdowns (as highlighted in the NYT article my sister sent me), I find "myself turning corners and coming upon different aspects of "myself" who are unexpectedly unfamiliar.

2 comments:

Julie_c said...

My movie review:

I thought Definitely, Maybe was cute. But it was just a glossy formula movie to me. (Although I really like Isla Fisher - she's so darn charming!)

But I thought 500 Days of Summer really delved into the emotional highs and lows of a relationship in a fresh and funny way.

To me DM was, in every way a typical rom/com, while 500 was a good story, well told.

Definitely, Maybe - B-
500 Days of Summer - A-

shirley said...

That's cool.

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying I thought DM was a better movie than 500. Just that I liked it better and how that surprised me.