Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Splash of bright

Sweet chili sauce has been an answer for me the past few days. This brand has a touch of "cloy" to it, but in a pinch it is getting the job done.


In other news, my heart is presently in Forks. I finished the third book of the Twilight series about an hour ago. It is inconsistent (compared, say, to the Harry Potter series), but when it is good, it is oh so good (I am pretty much in the throes of my own personal Edward-mania :-)

I am hoping to find the final book under the tree...

And, I already have my next vamp lit lined up. Thanks, Mom!

(All matter of brightness needed to combat the conflicting emotions which accompany holing up at this darkest time of year with the ever marching on needs of children and the holidays...)

3 comments:

Julie_c said...

If you ever want to talk Twilight, send me an email. I can discuss it ad nauseum. I'm curious as to what you find "inconsistent." Were there parts you simply didn't like or did you think her writing wavered?

I'll be very curious to see what you think of the fourth book.

shirley said...

I go so much by mood when it comes to books, films, etc.

I found the first third to half of the second book very slow and almost boring.

I know some of it was a natural let down because of the plot, but well, maybe I just missed me some Edward.

I'm not convinced that Stephenie Meyers (sp?) is a great writer. There are sections of writing that I think are really good. And I think the story is great, its twists and turns well done.

The characters have clear voices pretty much across the board which is impressive.

But, somehow, the writing doesn't hold up for me as an adult. I feel like I'm peeping in and visiting to a world for teenagers...that's it's not a world for me.

This is where the Harry Potter books were different for me. There, even though the main characters were kids, I felt like I was stepping into a world that was complete and held my attention.

What holds my attention, ultimately, in the Twilight series, is what is going to happen to Bella and Edward. It's a high octane romance that has vampires in it, which I love, but drags a little bit because the writing is so much from the perspective of Bella and it feels limiting.

This may be the author's intention. To show where Bella is as a person and how that affects her feelings and decisions. But, it gets stifling for me sometimes.

Hmm. I had much more specific things to say than I thought I would!!

Julie_c said...

That's interesting, Shirl. I definitely would not call Ms. Meyer a GREAT writer. There's a lot of craft issues throughout, but I LOVE the characters and I really enjoy the story so that's good enough for me.

I really liked the first person as well. It made the story that much more alive to me to have it through Bella's filter.

You know, she started writing Twilight from Edward's perspective as well. It's called Midnight Sun and she never finished it b/c one of her friends leaked it out and she was super pissed off about it. But she posted it on her website for her fans.

I had a lot of fun reading it and Twilight together and comparing the different takes of Edward and Bella.

But yes - Edward's absence in New Moon was rough on me. Having read it through a second time, I was able to relax a little more and enjoy the moments with Jacob for what they were.

I haven't read the Harry Potter series yet. I was waiting for Cameron to be ready. But I'm beginning to think he might be able to handle the first one.