Sunday, November 16, 2008

Done!

My first pair of socks are air drying. When you knit garments out of wool, it is recommended that you block them. What I did with the socks was to spray them with water and pat them into "shape". Now they air dry and then they will be ready.

The water helps to loosen the fibers of the wool and then the process of air drying will tighten the fibers back up. The shaping that is done will help to create the final fit of the garment. Stitch definition is also often improved by blocking.

In the case of these socks, the shaping needed was minimal because they are bulky socks, or what I think of as "Birkenstock" socks, so they are not, nor do they need to be, form-fitting/body conscious.

I cannot wait for these babies to dry. Tomorrow, I hope, I will be wearing them.


Which means onto the next thing. I've got some decaf green tea with honey waiting in the wings and my desk, a pillar of piled up...stuff, ready for decluttering. Getting the desk cleared off will set in motion a chain reaction a result of which will be a music area in the living room. That's motivation.

1 comment:

JET said...

Congratulations on your first pair of socks! They look wonderful. Just in time for the cold weather that should be arriving tomorrow.