Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Kitchen update...with klatch


Creamy dulse dressing from Blissful Bites.  If a recipe has a dozen ingredients, it better make true use of all of them and last awhile.  This dressing fits the bill.  The color is quite drab, but the flavor trips along pretty brilliantly from briny (dulse is seaweed) to citrus (lemon) to savory (Worcestershire and wheat-free tamari and mustard).  The silken tofu gives it a pillowy feel while the pumpkin seeds give it texture.

This is a great recipe.  I could eat it happily by the spoonful.  Wonder what it will pair well with...


I don't know if this is the tastiest slaw, but it sure is the prettiest.  I love the colors.  And the taste bursts with freshness.  It is suggested to add honey if you like things sweet and I will most definitely try that.  This came out tangy.  (My fault, I'm sure, as I didn't measure precisely.)


Gem did not like the marinara.  I almost froze all of it yesterday, in frustration, but then calmed down.  I froze half of it.  

This morning I browned some ground grass-fed turkey from the farmer's market and mixed in just over half of the marinara I had in the fridge.  (I am hoping Cap might make some pizza with what's left of the sauce.)  

He still didn't like it (he is sensitive to texture and change and is not into how chunky this sauce is).  I may blend the next batch to make it smoother, but the truth is that the "chunks" in this sauce are incredibly soft.  The onions cooked for 20 minutes and melt in your mouth.  

He ate more of it at lunch than he did last night.  Baby steps. 

: :    : :    : :

During Dragon's Way it is encouraged to eat warm foods and drink warm drinks.  Most of the things I made this week are cold, literally not cooked, or meant to be served cold.  Something to keep in mind when meal planning for next week.

I only used half of the red cabbage (slaw), half of the fresh basil (eggplant salad) and half of the Romaine lettuce (eggplant salad).  It's nice to have leftover prepped veg for spontaneous use the rest of the week.

My friend Shannon ended up staying when she dropped her boy off to play.  It was so nice to have someone to share the food with.  And talk and talk and talk.

Peace and love.

No comments: