Monday, March 28, 2011

Quick hand-me-down

I bought the kids rain boots recently and they had the chance to truly test them yesterday in the stream at the cabin.  Last night, Gem said he didn't want these boots because water got in too easily via the "holes" along the tops of the boots (designed to place your fingers through to pull them on).


I couldn't really argue with him.  What is the point of having a new pair of water boots which, in your opinion, didn't do a good job of keeping the water out?  Luckily, the boys have been growing like the proverbial weeds lately and his boots fit me.  It's crazy.  Part of it is my own craziness.  I have this thing about buying shoes and boots on the big side for them.  But, it is undeniable.  They are in a rapid phase of physical growth and suddenly are needing larger sizes all around (or are beginning to actually fit the larger sizes I've bought them in the last year).


Now I can chuck my 20+ year old Bean duck boots (which still look great, but the rubber treads are worn quite smooth) and I will wear these to the ground.  I think Gem will like traditional Wellies, those are very tall (and come to think of it, he has long, thin legs like his Mummu, so they'll fit him well) and should keep the water out as he frolics in streams.  (I did consider for a moment those fly fishing rubber overall thingies as I pondered last night :-)

No comments: