Saturday, May 01, 2010

This explains a lot

From ADD-Friendly Ways To Organize Your Life:

"Although we don't really understand the neurological mechanism, the ADD need for stimulation is well known. It is more obvious among hyperactive/impulsive ADDers because their stimulation seeking is quite observable, from fast driving and fast talking to sky diving. But, even quiet, inattentive-type ADDers stimulate themselves through daydreaming, television, escape novels, and overeating if the events around them aren't interesting. Thom Hartmann, a well-known writer on the topic of ADD, hypothesizes that those with ADD crave a sense of aliveness more intensely than others. Some ADDers are so intolerant of boredom that they start an argument or create a crisis to avoid understimulation. Stimulation-seeking behavior can be either your key to success or your undoing, depending upon how it is managed."

Wow. It is unreal, seeing very real, very true aspects of myself from a new and different perspective.

I'm grateful.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Cool! Very interesting. Is that the book I should read?

shirley said...

I don't know yet :-) I got the third book I wanted to read, Women and ADD, today. I'm looking forward to it!

Angela said...

Like Shannon, I'm following your self-discovery, hoping I can get a little self-discovery by association (-:

I might have to check that book out sooner than later, though, as I am feeling quite stuck and overwhelmed by a sense of disorganization right now.

shirley said...

I feel for you, Angela. You have some big things in the "added" column right now between prepping for the eventual sale of your home and also looking for a new one.

What to "take away" though? When it all feels kinda necessary, it can lead to overwhelm.

The titles I'm reading are:

ADD-Friendly Ways To Organize Your Life

Driven To Distraction

Women and ADD

Good luck...I really understand feeling stuck and overwhelmed...and it don't feel good. Hugs.