I looked at Cap and said, "I could never live somewhere like this". I wasn't being funny, nor was I being judgmental. I just knew that if I were forced to live in a community/area like that, I would die a little bit every day.
Which made me realize with a jolt, that I better start appreciating where I do live, because even though it's no city (which is, I'm realizing, the best fit for me), this town has a lot of things to offer.
I partook of one of those offerings this morning. I'd heard of Van Vleck House and Gardens many times. But had never been. They have an annual plant sale which I've wanted to go to in the past, but had never gone to. I had it in my calendar again this year, but probably would not have made it over had Donna not mentioned she was going when we talked on the phone yesterday. I told her I was interested in going, and we made a date. She picked me up at 9am.
Oh my gravy, it was like an oasis. A slice of paradise. The air was so full of pure oxygen, I think I was a bit stoned wandering around looking at all the plants and flowers, for sale, and also, part of the wonderful gardens.
But, I tell you, inspiration is a wonderful thing. Heirloom tomato plants? How could I not? I picked up an heirloom red pear tomato plant and an award-winning cherry tomato plant and some cosmos, one of my favorite wild flowers.
I repotted my babies when I got home. It's supposed to hit 87Âș today and tomorrow, pretty perfect weather for getting the garden going. I was, alas, chased off by skeets. I hate being around them because they like how I taste and then I get swollen itchy bites. It is this connection which drove me away from gardening in the past. We'll see how it goes this summer.
For now, I'm enjoying visions of children plucking tomatoes off the vine and reveling in their summer sweetness.
No comments:
Post a Comment