Monday, October 27, 2008

Schooly

This morning, the kids wanted to have a "schooly" table activities time. So I pulled out some Kumon and Miquon Math workbooks I've collected over the years. The kids grabbed some pencils and eagerly set forth on addition and subtraction problems, time telling exercises, and "connect-the-dots".



Gem soon asked for "spelling". So I chose a dozen spelling words off the top of my head themed around Star Wars (light saber, galaxy, friendship, planet, soldier, weapon, loyalty, fighter, father, knight, duel, falcon). He was dismayed to see he made mistakes in six of the twelve words. I pointed he was very close for five of those six.

Sag looked for all the "connect-the-dots" he could find in all the workbooks on the table. He liked trying to figure out what the image was before connecting the dots.

He then found this fill-in-the-blanks number chart and worked on that.

I pulled out the Base 10 blocks to show Gem a different way of figuring the "Addition" song he's been singing lately ("2+2 is 4, 4+4 is 8, 8+8 is 16, etc", yes, thanks again to TMBG). Yesterday in the car he got to 512+512 is 1024 and was so psyched! He does most mathematical figuring in his head.

Once you put blocks in front of him, what he wants to do is build with them, in a different way.

We had a pancake and sausage lunch (Gem did some cooking of his own), and the rest of the day has been building with legos, making movies, some computer time, and in an hour, they start their new swimming session. Gem will start in Guppy with Lukas, Sag will continue in Polliwog 2 with Owen.

3 comments:

jet said...

Looked like a very busy/productive day. Hope swimming went well.

Julie_c said...

Wow - what a "schooly" dad you had! I love the fill in the number worksheet. Cam is having a hard time remembering 14 and 16 - so maybe I'll give that a try.

shirley said...

Swimming went swimmingly. It's great to see Gem so excited and comfortable in his new class and Sag scored a great teacher and I'm confident he'll learn a lot this session.

Jamie, I want to get you down here for a visit soon, if possible!

What I like about both these series is that the material is presented in color.

The Miquon Math is actually a whole program that was piloted in a school setting.

It's nice to get ideas for stuff you can DYI. What kids find engaging, and what you're looking to reinforce for them, can be so individual.

Julie, I have a strong memory of sitting in a drained bathtub in tears for what felt like forever because I kept forgetting 16 or 17 while counting to 20.

My mom had me start counting after she pulled the drain and what was supposed to be a fun timed activity became a horror show when I could not do it because I kept forgetting a number and she wouldn't let me out of the tub because she couldn't believe I couldn't do it.

Good times.