Thursday, February 17, 2011

Back on native soil

The light hit my brain and I knew the definitive answer to a question Gem had asked me the day before in Japan: do I have a home away from home?  I do.  It's northern California.  Especially the Bay area.  I feel it every single time the light hits me.

We are here in Oakland at Auntie Barbra and Audrey's house where the dogs have greeted us with love and taken us in stride.  The flight was smooth for the most part (the kids slept through the turbulence) and they slept for between 2-3 hours.  I got about 2 hours of on and off dozing in.

I crashed for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, the kids impressed me with their wakefulness as they powered through the day without napping.  We hit a great comic book store, Sag and I had doughnuts (his request for lunch and once I saw how good they looked, I had to have one) and dinner was sushi on the water where Gem, finally, sated his salmon sushi jones which had been sorely unmet while in Japan.

Sorry no pics, the camera cord is buried in my suitcase and the kids are still, blissfully, sleeping.  I was ecstatic to wake and find that I'd slept eight hours straight.  They are now into hour eleven.

It is raining here this morning and so cozy.

Peace and love, people.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like a good start to your second part of the vacation. Enjoy your time in California.

shirley said...

Thanks Jamie xo

Shannon said...

How ironic that he didn't get sushi he liked til back in the states, lol!

shirley said...

He'd say very bitter irony ;-)