Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Kamakura

yamakake udon with a raw quail egg.

Lunch was awesome.  A small udon shop with a lot of wooden accents in the decor a second floor walk-up playing jazz.

plum blossom at Hasedera.

The ume (plum) trees are starting to bloom.  They smell wonderful.  Today was cold though.  A high just north of 40ºF with a cold bitter wind blowing by mid-afternoon.

this dude's so handsome.

the kids taking a load off while Cap and my mom checked out a sembei shop.

visual proof that I am indeed present in these travels.

Today we went to Kamakura with my sister and my mom.  My sister went back to the apartment after a couple of hours and my mom really impressed me with her energy as she enjoyed the day with us despite her jet lag.

This is a short post, despite having taken 100 photos today (I love digital photography!), because I am really wiped out.  We are all having a wonderful time and I am very happy.  But, I am also so sleep deprived.  We all are.  Today both of the kids wanted to be very physically close with me as we tromped around Kamakura.  I won't say it's a drawback to attachment parenting, but when one practices AP there are definitely times when the attachment takes a very literal form and, well, you just gotta suck it up.

My mom continues to inspire as she is now cooking multiple dishes up for dinner.  It smells really good...

Not sure what our plans are for tomorrow.  Maybe I'll have more energy and time to blog.

* yamakake aka tororo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioscorea_opposita, one of those uniquely Japanese foods...yum.

* sembei: rice crackers...these were made right in the shop...very cool.

* hasedera is a temple that Cap loves...it was really special to be able to share it with the kids and my mom.  Details will follow with more pics from this adventure.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

We enlarged one of the pictures and Bridget was thrilled to see the Moomintrolls on your bag :-) I'll show Owen the page when he gets home.

Sounds like you guys are having fun!

JET said...

Yes, I was wondering if you really were there with the rest of the gang :-)

I didn't realize it would be chilly in Japan this time of year. Hope you found time to take a nap.

shirley said...

Shannon, that bag was given to Erik when he visited a university in Tokyo to do some work about a year ago. I brought it with us to use as our "brown bag" for A's lunches. I loooove Moomin, as he is known here in Japan. I thought Moomin came from Japan till I met Erik and I discovered they hailed from Finland :-)

Jamie, the weather has been variable, it's a tricky time of year. The weather here is similar to the weather in DC and they are kind of primed for Spring-ish weather, but then it actually snowed this morning which is VERY rare for this part of Japan.

Yes, I thought it was time for me to pot a pic of myself. A volunteered his services to take the pic :-)