For about a week now (ever since daylight savings) sometime during the 11:00am hour, I come to a full stop as I notice the black stripes of tree shadows on the ground. The slanted light catches my heart and I am gripped with melancholy.
Took me awhile, but I am realizing that S.A.D. may be making a come back into my life. I used to get it for years every Fall into Winter, but moving to Sacramento and warmer, sunnier climes put an end to it. It's taken five years, but it has crept back and is wreaking some havoc on me.
It's tough being all emo when you have two young kids around you nearly 24/7, a husband who constantly has 1,000 more things to do every time he finishes one thing (he said that to me recently), and a life that generally starts to feel quite full around this time every year (Thanksgiving, Sag's birthday, Cap's annual week-long reading conference, Cap's end of the semester, Christmas, New Year's Eve and Oshougatsu).
Puts a crimp on listening to emo-dripping music full blast, writing self-absorbed poetry and/or prose, and fantasizing about your other, happier life ;-)
Taking stock, gearing up, having a possible answer to feeling so sad and wistful is so much better than wallowing in it. Qigong, possibly an herbal fine tuning (will talk to Vinny about that this week), and decreasing time "out" while enriching time "in" are some of the strategies bouncing around the head at the moment.
2 comments:
Here's hoping it's not a long, long winter.
I hear you, sister. This time of year is tough, especially as the last bits of colors leave the trees. We really need sunshine on our faces to keep us balanced. It's so much easier to do in places like CA. I miss that! What do you think of Vit D supplements?
Post a Comment