A rhythm that has been folded into our week smoothly in the last few months is Cap and my movie nights. Usually on Friday, but sometimes on Saturday, we alternate choosing a movie and watch it together.
It is kind of crazy how we've gone from spending so much time together to so little time together, as a twosome, in our nearly 20 years together. There is a part of me that very much looks forward to the kids growing up and a return to those days. Of course it won't be a return as much as a forwarding. We'll be in our 50s and have two grown kids!
The movies we've seen recently are: Rachel Gets Married, Big Man Japan, Synecdoche, NY, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, I Love You, Man, and last night, This Is England.
This Is England was a haunting movie. Incredibly sad and painful, but with moments of warmth and stark beauty. The soundtrack was nice and I especially loved the last two pieces that you hear as the movie ends and the credits roll. It's a memoir film about a 12 year old boy growing up in Nottingham in the 1980s, trying to find his way as he deals with the gaping pain of having lost his father to the war in the Falklands.
6 comments:
Last night we watched Spirited Away. We started it with Cam at dinnertime, but as soon as the girl's parents turned into pigs and spirits started rising from the ground, Cam called it quits. Mike and I picked it up again after C's bedtime. It was probably good that we stopped it where we did. Cam would have been FREAKED. I was amazed by the creativity of all the creatures - but Cam would have been freaked. There were a few moments where Mike and I were convinced a drug inspired a scene, but on the whole I thought it was pretty good.
I am a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki and liked Spirited Away a lot. I think the movie would be way too intense for our guys, too.
Both of my kids like that one but I do remember it was a bit freaky the first time Owen saw it. But we watched Coraline the other week so maybe we just like freaky, lol!
I loved Coraline.
You know, I tend to err on the side of "protecting" them from movies with intense emotional potential. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing...
Eh, I don't know. I do err on the side of caution when it comes to Owen because he's the more sensitive of the two and he scares easily. But he's also been asking to watch more and I also don't feel right with just outright forbidding something that *he* thinks he'd be ok with.
But there are a few things I watched as a child that I probably shouldn't have so I keep that in mind.
What we go with is watching spooky things during the day, with the lights on, with me sitting right there with him. Coraline required blankets to cover their heads which both kids used for the first viewing (Bridget, who had read the book and the graphic novel, only used it once, declaring "oh, I remember this scene" before putting it over her head).
They recently decided they wanted to watch the Pirates of the Caribbean series which I had thought too scary when Owen was younger. There were a few scary moments but overall, he really enjoyed all three movies.
Yet, ironically, I'm glad they aren't interested in Star Wars much because movies 2 and 3 seem too intense to me. Maybe that's me projecting.
All to say - it depends ;-)
That's a *really* good idea to watch potentially scary stuff during the day. I've only started doing that more consciously lately.
The first time Gem watched Revenge of the Sith there was an early scene where a character is having a vision/nightmare and he sees his love crying and screaming. Gem flipped out, he was SO upset. We shut the movie off and he didn't want to have anything to do with the movie for at least 6 months.
Star Wars does have its moments of intensity. It is all very arbitrary :-) I requested The Goonies from the library today, a number of people have thought my guys would like it.
Post a Comment