Monday, September 21, 2009

DW week 1, day 1

I am feeling it. Deep joy. Dragon's Way starts today.

I look tired. I am tired. And my face and body are full from all the meat and cheese and ice cream I've been consuming this week...ostensibly to say "good-bye". I had onion rings a couple of days ago. I hadn't had onion rings, a food I used to love, in a long time actually.

I noticed that the letting go of these foods was very mental, as opposed to, physical. But, emotional nourishment through food is a big part of my relationship to eating. The shift that I am encouraging in myself is to dwell in the positive emotions and associations rather than the negative ones.

I woke up this morning to a child who needed help. I took a few breaths and got out of bed. And helped. He decided to stay awake. (And has been quite a snuggle bunny ...I think he's going to be tired this afternoon and evening.) (Another thought...the now nightly ritual of back rubs is opening him up in some wonderful ways...the snuggling...that kind of connection and nonverbal communication is so powerful.)

I check my "e-mail" a lot. This involves my actual e-mail account, Google Reader, Ravelry, and Facebook. In the morning, I usualy blog, as well. Well, as it worked out this morning, I wrote a blog post last night and set it to post for today. I wanted to clear some space for qi gong. I did still check my e-mail, but then I practiced qi gong for the first time in over a week...maybe two.

It was delicious. The gentle stretching of the tendons infuses me with well-being. Why why why why why then do I not practice every day? It's the frakking paradox of my life. I did movements #1-9. Still have a block going against #10. But, I figured I'd have the chance to practice that one tonight at the first class meeting.

Afterward I was perky with energy and showered, dropped off our library items and shopped for some healing foods, all before 10am. (Those of you who work 9-5 may feel horrified that this feels like some sort of accomplishment...being home with the kids is a whole different world for me...)

I made a veggie soup with red onion, garlic, ginger, celery, carrot and broccoli. I used some of the chicken stock I made the other day and tossed in some vegetable bouillon. Gem requested home fries so I spent some time peeling fingerling potatoes, some of which I was calling finger-tip-ling potatoes. The kids and I finished off a bowl of red grapes as I cooked and they read at the kitchen table.

I never got to toasting my walnuts, but did make watermelon "juice" for the first time using all the parts of a few slices of watermelon. I did drink half a small glass. I envisioned myself a dragon for that one. It was...challenging.

I actually am unsure that I will make it to class tonight. Sag's GI system continues to be sensitive and I'm not sure I want to saddle a friend with potentially having to deal with that and all it can entail...

Regardless, I am enjoying this shift in focus...the quiet energy...the lift in mood.

No comments: