Monday, September 14, 2009

A Sunday afternoon in the park

Flushing Meadows Park in Corona, Queens. Site of the 1964 World's Fair. I learned yesterday that my dad used to walk my sister and I there (us in a stroller). He was remarking on how big the trees have gotten.

As we were in the approach for the Lincoln Tunnel, the site of these guys in this car grabbed me. Traffic can be good for some things.

I held the camera out the window, pointed it behind us, and shot this.

Taken from the car as we crossed Manhattan towards the Midtown Tunnel.

This, too.

And this. (The Empire State Building making an incidental but appreciated appearance in this shot.)

Ellie. The kids chillaxed at the Playground for All Children.

Any day I ride a carousel is a good one. Riding alongside my niece makes it a great one.

Something about carousels...

I love them.

We went to the Queens Zoo.

Is this an amaryllis? All I know is that it was honkin' big. And very striking.


He loves bears.







Gem was into the blimp.


I don't know what he was doing, but it involved gouging the earth with hoof and antler, peeing on it, and repeating.





For every ten pictures like this...

no, make that hundred...

I get one like this. :-)

Jiji and Baba. Here they were facing the USTA stadium where a U.S. Open men's semi-final match was being played.

The kids were truly tortured at this point. They really hung in there with all the photographing.

The Grand Central Parkway from a novel (for us) view.


We ended our day with dinner at a beer garden in Astoria. (Those rain drops on the umbrella are faux.) My favorite dish was thick-ish just this side of chewy (in a really good way) bread smothered in mushroom gravy. So good.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Looks like another wonderful outing with your family.

I really need to go visit the zoo around here.

Angela said...

Carousels are magical. It's true.

shirley said...

My niece loves carousels and my dad wanted to go on with her. My mom called out, "who else wants to go?", and when I was the one in the group who responded, "me!", my mom had a good laugh. :-) (My guys do not like the carousel.)

monstermomma said...

Great photos!! Love them!! Awesome composition on so many!! And WOW you have a long haired boy :] I have to check these places out too!! Haven't been to Queens in about two years!!

shirley said...

Thanks :-) It was a fun field trip to Flushing Meadows...