What the heck is the distinction between "gay marriage" and what Biden was saying he and Obama support? Barbra, is this the same distinction that Jerry Brown made in the wording out in CA to turn the tide of support? I was confused. And dismayed.
Sag kept asking me how to spell words as he worked on something at the computer and Gem kept popping up at my elbow to show me delight after delight as he made symmetrical paper cut-outs using folded up patterned origami paper. It was bustling around here between 9 and 10pm.
I've been gearing up to volunteer for the Obama campaign, and perhaps this is a knee jerk reaction, but I was really turned off by the big "god bless you" at the end. Why, people, why? It's called separation of church and state and I would appreciate having any mention of god being kept out of my face when you are doing something as an elected officer of the state.
Getting off my little soapbox now.
5 comments:
I didn't see the "God Bless You" at the end b/c I had fallen asleep by then. I would guess that it's a political move though. I certainly agree with you - wouldn't it be great if the government could just keep the God stuff separate - like they are supposed to. But I think Palin was brought on board mainly to pacify the super religious right wing and Obama/Biden are probably try to do their best to stay true to themselves but not piss anyone off. That would be my guess.
But I did see the whole "not supporting gay marriage thing." Here's my take - Obama and Biden probably are fine with it - I don't know for sure, of course. I'm sort of assuming it. But if you come out and say nationally that you support gay marriage, you're going to lose the election. Obama already has to fight the race thing - if he picks up gay marriage too - no way - he loses and then we get Ms. Youbetcha Darntootin' a heartbeat away from the presidency.
What really was bothering me last night was that on at least 2 accounts, Palin made a point of saying let's not point a finger of blame, let's just fix it. One was on the environment. "I don't know what caused it - I just want to fix it." And the other was the economy - I think. She said the Obama and Biden were promising this "change" but they kept looking into the past so much that she doubted there would be much of it. And I'm sitting on my couch and thinking - what a fool! Of course you need to know what caused it so you can prevent it in the future. Doesn't everyone know that?!
Check out this link:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/3/43222/8057/718/618653
You'll like it.
As you may know, this is rare for me, to actually be bringing my head out of the sand somewhat.
It's exhilarating, but I also feel a bit hypersensitive.
Yeah, I noticed the whole let's not point fingers and dwell on the past thing either.
I'll check out the link, thanks.
What I came away with from the VP debate was that I hadn't realized what a spot-on impersonation Tina Fey had done of Palin. I don't think I had heard Palin talk more than a few words until the debate so didn't realize Tina Fey had not only captured her accent but also her gestures. Yeah, I probably should have gotten something more substantial out of the whole thing but 'doggone it' I took what I could get.
I was thinking that, too!!
Not supporting gay marriage on a federal level continues to mean us "legally married" gays in CA and MA continue to not have federal protections. No social security benefits of our spouses, no joint federal income taxes, etc, etc. We are not counted in the national census as well as "married." Probably other things I don't even think about. The fact that Palin said what she did say in support of gay rights somewhat blew me away. I didn't expect that and am not sure it's completely genuine. (At least according to Jon Stewart...my hero). In any case, I wouldn't expect Obama/Biden to support gay marriage at this point. Actually it was Bill Clinton who passed the Defense of Marriage Act that defends the federal definition of marriage. So much fear runs our world. It is a sad truth. But I also relish in the huge progress that has been made. Gosh, I AM LEGALLY married in the great state of CA. We have come a long way, and my intuition tells me the rest will come. Jerry Brown's wording in our ballot initiative is actually in defense of legal marriage in California. Not the same thing as Biden's statement. Biden's point is give them the same rights, but don't call it marriage. Palin seemed to agree.
~B
Post a Comment