Wow. This graphic novel was amazeballs. It was an unflinching look at aging and dying, parental and familial ties, and the gifts and challenges of the passage of time. There were moments of incredible joy and wonder, true rewards for sticking with often heartbreaking and difficult terrain.
I am feeling slightly depressive. I think, mostly, due to the time change. As I mentioned yesterday, I am sensitive to the decreasing light this time of year, The shift of daylight savings takes a bit of a toll on me.
I've noticed lately that I seem drawn, inordinately, to consuming art that is on the dark side. I am not questioning it, there is, as they say, no accounting for taste. It would be more accurate to say that it's occurred to me lately that perhaps if I sought out lighter fare, it might help tip the balance of my mood and/or perspective...which has felt a bit on the raw/rough/harsh side of things.
But, I love what I love and so I recently watched a documentary about The Donner Party. It was riveting and I learned a lot. It says something when the most shocking aspects of a real life story had nothing to do with the consumption, by humans, of human flesh.
I have Blackfish on tap. I have a feeling this one is going to gut me so I have been waiting for "the right moment" to watch it.
There is an empowerment that comes with bearing witness.
What are you reading/watching?
Peace.

3 comments:
Were you able to stream the Donner Party from PBS? I just looked, and couldn't find a way to watch it without buying it. I'd love to see it. One of my favorite Natalie Merchant songs is about the Gold Rush brides, and their migration West - a haunting and harrowing story. Reminds me of the Donner Party.
Bummer, I returned it to the library already!
Maybe my local library has it. Non-residents are no longer allowed to rent video's from the Montclair library. Time to hoof it down to the Belleville library!
And it's NOT a bummer! Video fines suck!
Post a Comment