I am nourishing myself with sleep, food, Qigong, books, movies and knitting. I am finding that waking earlier is helpful to "productivity" because I am perkiest in the morning, and my system likes the tone that is set by waking early. The flow gets going in earnest, uninterrupted, in the quiet.
Wake, practice Qigong, putter in the kitchen (put away items from day before + mentally or physically prepare + plan food stuff for the day), make a cup of tea... This takes a good 60-90 minutes, I find.
I am noticing that I feel "better" (hard to quantify) if I stay off the laptop/cell phone till afternoon (which, frankly, leaves less time/attention for my internets activity, which have its uses and benefits...so it's not all good.)
Cabbage steam-sautéed in duck fat with an onion, seasoned with salt. I think my Dad would love this. It's yummy, but my digestive system has some reservations.
Celery root, or celeriac, is something I likely would never have tried if I weren't in a CSA. I think they're beautiful. And, surprisingly, I think they are delicious. (Celery, along with carrots, were my absolute hated veg growing up.)
This breakfast made me happy: sunny side up eggs, sweet potato and celery root hash, and daikon kimchi.
I am totally surprised to have knitting suddenly come back into my life. I had an idea for a project, found a pattern to my liking via Ravelry, bought the yarn last weekend when Cap and I went out for lunch, and my needles have been clicking away. I'll post more when I can (the project involves a bit of secrecy, for now).
This book was amazing. Very creative and clever. So many of its subjects and themes resonated with me...it was uncanny. I can't say enough about it. I tried, over at Goodreads, and though my review was heartfelt, it was kind of clumsy.
I enjoyed this graphic novel very much. I loved her illustrations, her stories, her recipes...I was tickled to have my food mind expanded by such an unassuming, yet engaging, young writer.
This movie blew my mind, ripped my heart out, and yet, made me glad to be alive. Stunning, gorgeous, heartbreaking...so complex. The direction was unbelievable, such a tour-de-force. The ensemble was incredible, each performance utterly mesmerizing (the actors played multiple characters). Tom Hanks has never done anything for me...but, wow. He was really good in this.
Peace and love.



2 comments:
hey there. Need to comment on Cloud Atlas - one of my favorite books ever. I was blown away by it. And how you described the movie is how I would describe the book - exept change direction to writing. I struggled around the decision to see the movie, but after seeing the preview was reminded about how truly upsetting some of the scenarios are and that taking that in visually would be much harder. I think I loved the language(s) of the book, the stylistic wizardry - the complexity and Nabakovian layers that kept me surprised and confused and ultimately impressed with the brilliant mind of the author. The guy is clearly a genious and I bow down to him. ~B
Cloud Atlas has been on "my list" for years. I held off as long as I could to see the movie because I wanted to read the book first. We own a copy of the book now, Cap read it for a book group. So I will read it at some point. I look forward to it. And, for now, feel like the movie and the book will stand on their own because the movie was so wonderful (and the book will be, too, I have no doubt).
Post a Comment