I have very fond memories of lugging dozens of library books the half mile home, on foot (my mom probably did most of the heavy lifting in our trusty metal shopping cart), when I was a kid. When I picture it in my mind, it is always the trip home, full of joyous anticipation and delight over treasures found.
We have a wonderful library in town, which is part of a fantastic consortium of libraries, which in turn, has given us access to just about any book/cd/dvd. My recently re-raised consciousness about our finances has turned me away from my old-habits-die-hard habit of buying books.
I love buying books. I love the feel of a new book. The virgin pages. I love our local bookstore. The smell as you step in, the warm "hellos" of the staff who we have become friendly with, the depth of their collection in a cozy space...
But, I do also love the library. I am grateful for technology and social media. I love having a list of books I want to read over at Goodreads (many of the books have come by way of authors, bloggers, NYT and NPR interviews, etc.) I love being able to cross check my list with the library consortium database.
Today, it took maybe 15 minutes to ascertain that my local library had a number of books on my "want to read" list, on its shelves. I had to go over anyway to pick up some books I'd requested that had come in, as well as, our Friday night "classic" movie for tomorrow night (The Red Shoes).
Once there, in what really does feel like a home away from home in some ways, I gathered my pile, checked everything out, had a cup of tea with my sweetie, and brought my loot home.
Happy.
Here are links to the books:
Peace and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment