Friday, February 03, 2012

Lying in

One of the things that I think about sometimes is:

what would I/my body have done to heal had I not embarked on a life at home ten years ago?


But, there's no easy answer.  And not much sense in pondering for too long.  I am grateful that when I decided to do something about improving my well-being, I was able to.  I am grateful that I felt the need in the first place.  I am grateful to be distinctly healthier and happier now at 46 than when I nudged awake to the outer territories of my potential at 40.

Today is a lying in day.  I have my period and am wiped from the heaviest part of the exit flow.  I don't remember needing/having lying in days when I was in my 20s and 30s.  Was it because I had more energy?  Did I have such "sick days" but was unaware of why/when they were occurring?  Was I simply soldiering on (was I less sensitive?) and having subsequent problems/issues as a result?

I have never been as naturally regular in my cycles as I am now.  I've become the 28 day girl I'd long heard about but never recognized.

I embrace these days of lying in.

I used to feel guilty about them when I realized I needed them, a few years ago.  I felt outside the norm and compared myself negatively.  Not only was I not the Superwoman who raised a family while working outside of the home, I was stay-at-home and tired when I got my period...who the heck did I think I was being so needy?!

No more.  I have learned not to plan out-of-the-house activity for the time around my period.  I allow for rest and quiet during menses.  Like our ancestors did and some native peoples still do.  I believe it benefits my overall health, as well as the health of our family.  It certainly feels ever so right.

What we've been doing today...




No comments: