But, it's been going. Most importantly, as I mentioned yesterday, my line of thinking has been traveling a path clear of muck. I'm a person who has never been short on ideas. The communication and execution were more my issues.
Yesterday morning I finally began deconstructing the two shelves that have contained the kids' homeschooling "stuff" for the last year. The binders, the notes, the workbooks, the slantboards... It's not an ideal storage area because it's behind the big table and is hard to get to and hang out by. But, I also realized that the two shelves were also no longer tenable. Our stuff had outgrown the space.
I tossed some ideas out to Cap and he was very receptive. Our learning space is undergoing some changes, becoming more academic, to match up with the kids' needs as they develop...as well as, our visions on how to be there for them as they transition to being curious about more abstract concepts.
Case in point. (A great deal I found on Amazon. Haven't used it yet, but it has arrived, is easy to set up and break down and I am very excited about it!)
Thus, yesterday evening's date night became a childless Ikea run. It was uncharacteristically mellow over there and we were fairly surgical in our in and out.
Cap's feeding the kids breakfast as I type, then we will drive him up to campus, then we'll hit the farmer's market, and I may brave Target later (having the darndest time finding NasalCrom). But, for the most of the day, I will be taming this beast: (See the pretty new shelves? Quadruple the storage space!)
2 comments:
Those are Ikea shelves? Had you seen them online before you went down there?
I have to reorganize my sewing space (once I get out of this stupid hospital) and certainly need to do it cheaply...these look perfect for my fabric...but I might need two of them.
Ikea is a great solution for folks like me who don't have the time/energy/talent for thrifting.
They do have an online catalogue which you can use to coordinate pieces like the plastic boxes we got (they also have rattan boxes and both drawer inserts and door inserts for this particular shelving unit.
You can also check availability of the products at your local store, including when the next shipment is due to arrive. This can help mitigate disappointment at the store.
These shelves are called Expedit and we got two of the 2x4s. They also come bigger, in 4x4 and 5x5.
I have to warn you, I think Cap strained his back lugging these boxes up to our 2nd floor apartment. I was afraid to help because they were so heavy. (I helped carry them from the car to the front door, but was nervous about those stairs).
Check their website out, or visit the store, it's an experience!
Hope you get out of there soon...xoxo.
Post a Comment