I've been watching Season 2 of Treme "on demand" on HBO.
It's a David Simon show (The Wire, Homicide), which automatically put it on my radar...put it on high alert. Treme shares significant qualities with the other shows, but it is also quite distinctive. In Treme, the music does not take a backseat. The songs layered with the stories (there is a sprawling ensemble cast with many Simon alums) stand along side them and inform them...these tunes are not mere decoration...or atmospheric minutiae.
Yesterday, at the end of one of the most wearying days in recent memory, I watched a couple of episodes and though elements of the story were harsh (the show is set in post-Katrina New Orleans and in typical Simon style, it pulls no punches), the music...the music was so uplifting, soulful, and nourishing.
I react in similar ways to food and music. It's all about pure, sensory pleasure and feeling...righting of wrong...connecting to something original...a big hug with the universe.
But, with food, I am beginning to have issues...at 45, my body really can't handle what I pile onto my palate and down my gullet, especially as I am a middle-aged person who doesn't move her body or energy around much.
But, music, I can sample whatever I want, fall into grooves as deeply as I can, and lose myself in beats...taking it all in without thought or control...and not concern myself with stagnating energy and clogging arteries.
Peace and love y'all.

3 comments:
Perhaps you can use this combo music/food love to nurture one, and the other. Moving to the music can awaken your little used muscles and tendons, making them more useful to you in your daily routines. Having them be more useful to you overall (and by extension, feeling better, stronger, as you move through your days) is a nice way to become more mindful of the benefits and joys of feeding yourself what your body needs. The tension of the emotional want vs the physical need can become a harmonious dance, as the two things begin to nurture each other. It's a prescription for a spry and happily active journey through middle age, into the winter of your life.
Just a thought :-)
Wow, what an inspirational piece of writing! Especially love the last line :-) Yes, thank you. Didn't mean to imply I'm going to forego food...or the pleasures it brings...but yes, balance, balance and harmony...the way to go.
Yes, balance. Actually foregoing food, let alone the flavors and textures you love, is a prescription for disaster. I'm noticing (again) for myself, with the introduction of our puppy, how shifting the balance even a little, from FOOD/physical, to PHYSICAL/food, is giving me both more energy, and an appreciation for eating well, and simply. And I've lost at least 10 lbs without even thinking about it. Moving to music seems like a joyous way to accomplish this shift in balance :-)
Post a Comment