Monday, June 13, 2011

From the kitchen

I am bushed...don't let this post fool you.

However, as tired as I am, it's more physical than mental.  (Cap has finished his second immense, laborious push towards birthing his book...the lightness that is so evident in and around him today is buoying my spirits greatly.)

I made two things this morning.  Neither which required much work.  I am glad the clarity of mind was there to nudge me to use ingredients I had on hand (that were not gettin' any fresher) to make favorite dishes that have lain dormant for quite some time:

seaweed soup.

vegan pesto.

The seaweed soup is something I learned from my friend, Melody.  So simple and super nourishing.  Today's version was made with the leftover homemade pastured and/or organic chicken stock (most of this batch went to the alphabet soup).  Seaweed is loaded with minerals and even contains some protein!  I added a couple of tablespoons of organic miso.  I wish my blog was available in aroma-rama because this soup smells soooooo good.

Pesto.  One of my favorite foods.  This is my first pesto of the season.  Organic basil from...California.  I had some thoughts of planting an herb garden this year, but it hasn't happened.  Our CSA starts this week and Farmer John will be at the farmer's market on Saturdays, too.  So, by my next batch of pesto, the basil should be local.  Today's pesto is a bit heavy-handed in the pine nut department.  It has a creamier texture than usual.  Not bad...just different.  I'm cooking up a bag of my favorite gluten-free pasta for dinner to toss with this green goodness.  And, oooh, I can't wait for our next order of pastured eggs from the farm (tomorrow afternoon).  I absolutely love eggs scrambled with pesto.

I hope you eat something yummy and good-for-your-soul today.  And if not today, maybe tomorrow...

Peace and love.

No comments: