Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Peace kites



























We met up with family and friends on Saturday to fly Sayoko's peace kites.  For those who don't know the story: Sayoko comes to New York City every summer to fly and share her kites.  She makes them, at home in Japan, during the fall/winter/spring.  Her kites are simply constructed and soar in the reliable dance of wind currents at Liberty State Park.


Click to embiggen any of the pictures.  If anyone has any advice on how to deal with the spots on my lens, they would be welcome!  They really show up when I take long distance shots or the zoom lens.  (I have an approximately 5 year old Sony Cybershot digital point and shoot.)

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Maybe some year I'll visit on peace kite day :-) It looks peaceful and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves.

Spots on camera lens. cleaning the outer lens usually does nothing as the spots are likely on the lens sensor (internally). This is where Adobe Lightroom comes in very handy for me. Since you don't have that I opened up iPhoto and I see that if you go under edit it has a retouch button that lets you fix a blemish so it could be used to fix spots. It's really easy to use.

shirley said...

Thank you! I think I've used the retouch button before and had completely forgotten about it :-)

Oh, you should come next year! Lots of great photo ops between the people, the kites, the park and its environs which include the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

And, most important, it would be wonderful to experience with you. :-)

Shannon said...

Cool ;-) Eventually we'll join you for this. Some day. Some year ;-)

shirley said...

Yes :-)

Julie_c said...

Very cool.

The spot thing is weird.

shirley said...

I think it's a water spot. I'm not very careful with my camera and take pictures in the rain/snow without protecting it at all from the elements.