Monday, September 15, 2008

It's monday

We were in Massachusetts this weekend.

I've said it before, but I freakin' love MA. At one point this weekend we were driving from Kingston to Plympton (a 10 minute drive), the windows were down, the wind blowing my hair around, and my senses were just soaking in the atmosphere: the trees, the shingled homes, the scents, the ever familiar bends in the road... It's a craving that I don't even know is there most of the time.

Our drive up was from Hades. We left the house before 4pm and straggled into Karen and Brent's at 11:30pm. Oy. Seriously? Frack.

But, once there, there was a visit to a LYS where I bought a skein of Vermont-made yarn, a wonderful extended family gathering/reunion with Cap's dad's side of the family to welcome and meet a couple visiting from Finland (distant cousins of my fil), and Karen and Brent's hospitality which included a full-on South Indian feast for breakfast yesterday morning (dosas!!) and a post-breakfast kids-and-Brent walk to the cemetery in the rain. (And over an hour of knitting for me Sunday morning :-)

The drive home was notable mostly for the number of times we had to stop for the bathroom. Note to Cap: do not ply the boys with fun water bottles on long drives. There was some traffic, as well, and the return trip to Queens to pick up Baxter took almost six hours. Sigh. So ready to not be in the car for awhile.

Sandy and Mike came over and we all had dinner at Takai's house. Takai, Lisa and Ellie are in Aruba for a week. After the lovely repast we packed up Bax and his stuff and came home.

This morning the air is cooler (it was awful 'round these here parts yesterday/last night) and we've got a full schedule which includes the library and swimming. The first homeschoolers library day is today, but the kids usually shy away from that so we'll no doubt end up upstairs looking for Encyclopedia Brown books (and other stuff, says Gem the over-the-shoulder editor.) Polliwogery resumes in the late afternoon :-)

No pics to share from the weekend! I was too busy being present, which is a nice thing, every now and again...

3 comments:

jet said...

I also love Massachusetts but I think a lot of it has to do with the family being here. But I also love the feel of Plympton. The back roads, green fields, cranberry bogs, ponds, etc.

I was so glad I was able to stop by and see you, even though it wasn't for very long. It was really nice sitting on the deck and chatting. I also had a wonderful conversation with the boys about Star Wars.

I thought of you all yesterday on the drive home in the rain. Glad you made it back safely.

Take care.

shirley said...

It was so good to see you, as always.

Them boys are pretty into their Star Wars these days...

Julie_c said...

I heard the drive was horrible. I'm so glad you had enough fun to make up for it.