Friday, September 19, 2008

Confession

There's a reason I haven't been waxing poetic about the garden. Or showing off pics of the home grown bounty.

I abandoned it. Yes I feel very small about it.

The way our yard/this area gets infested with mosquitoes played a part. I'd go out at high noon and within minutes would have half a dozen bites. I'm a bit allergic and so these bites would swell and harden and then itch like crazy for 48 hours.

Call me a wimp, but it wasn't worth it.

So I've been thinking about what to do for next year. Bring my herbs closer to me. Maybe some window boxes. Become a regular user of bug repellant (which I have some issues with, like I do with sun block). Create an airconditioned body suit.

But, look what Gem found today.


We had some rain recently followed by some hot sunny days. Mother nature just doin' her thing. This mini-bounty was enough for me to grab the watering cans, snip off the flowered tops of the basil, and give our small patch some attention. We found two green beans. There's a bunch of little green tomatoes that looked promising, as well as, some leaves of spinach.

There's some fresh pesto in my future. Yum.

1 comment:

Julie_c said...

I don't blame you. I have a much smaller garden and the magic of growing things often wears off of me within a month. You have an excuse - mosquitos - AWFUL!