Cutting out sugar and grains has certainly played a part in my mental clarity and calmer nerves. (Calmer nerves = better sleep, for one. A big one.) (I am not sure about dairy. I don't think it has any clear detrimental effect on my system, but it is a fairly potent gateway food group.) I have been having thoughts of staying sugar- and grain- and dairy-free into the near and far future, past the 30 days. It feels good enough not to be denied.
Today's CSA contestants:
Mystery melon. In the farmer's newsletter, he just says "melon". I let last week's Korean melon sit out too long (it had begun its ripe-y collapse on its underside...doh!) so I have been watching this one like a hawk. It wasn't giving off sweet melon scent yet, but it sounded ripe-ish upon tapping so I decided to cut it open.
It looked a lot like a cantaloupe on the inside. The flesh was a lovely grapefruit pinkish orange color...and not so ripe closer to the rind. Oh well. Still refreshing.
I had beets from last week and newer ones from this week. I love beets. But, I do not love how stain-y their juice is. After today, I think I am officially over that. I loved how Nom Nom Paleo guided me through preparing these beets. I have not tasted the final product yet, looking forward to doing that at dinner.
Total color therapy. I felt peaceful energy wash over and through me while gazing at these beautiful gems.
The peaches are being very cooperative, this week. They are ripening one by one and waited until the sugar plums were all gone.
My delicious lunch plate: baked pastured chicken thigh (boneless/skinless seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder), baba ganoush and almost caramelized peppers and onion. All veg from the CSA share and the chicken from the farmer's market. Love. And, yum.
Gem and I stepped out to take Baxter on his mid-day walk. Gem likes to hold the leash which freed me up to snap this shot. (And bag the poop. Baby steps.)
Wishing you a good weekend.
Peace and love.




No comments:
Post a Comment