Motherfucker.
That is what I said when this happened:
I was angry to ruin the dinner protein and the second pan in a month by burning it.
(I am hoping that the pan may be salvageable. I am vigorously ignoring it at the moment. The first pan was an Ikea freebie handed down to me by Melody when she moved west. I burned Kate's lice comb to the bottom of it. This time I burned some lovely pastured chicken that I had thawed in time to marinate and everything. Sigh. In a pan we've had for many, many years and has served us very well. A Marshall's purchase we likely won't be able to replicate in value. Sigh.)
There is also a kernel of understanding forming. That perhaps perimenopause, like pregnancy, is doing wacky shit to my brain. (It could, I suppose, be related to aging...but my intuition points to the other.) Maybe I should put a sign up in the kitchen. DO NOT LEAVE STOVE UNATTENDED. YES, YOU. NO, YOU WILL NOT BE RIGHT BACK. STAY.
I was in a bit of a tizzy. I wanted some comfort...but also didn't want anyone worrying about the safety of my children. I'm not sure how, but I was able to float back into some calm and talked to the kids about Plan B. I wanted to avoid going out or getting take-out because I am tightening the financial belt. I also didn't want to take them out, literally. They'd just gotten home from a long playdate and it was cold and dark out.
Then, the proverbial "life gives you lemons, make lemonade" happened. I listed the foodstuffs we had (including piping rice in the rice cooker)...Gem requested onigiri stuffed with something (we went with deviled ham, a first) and Sag wanted a grilled cheese.
And it was good. All of it.
Peace.



2 comments:
It's hard to beat grilled cheese. I'm tempted to bake some bread just so I can make one for Cam tomorrow night. Hmmmm.
Sorry about your pan.
Motherfucker. It's one of my faves :-)
Post a Comment