My journey began and ended with chocolate. A couple of days before I left, I discovered that The Chocolate Path, which shuttered its brick and mortar shop a while back, offers free local delivery for online orders. Sweet. I ordered the kids their favorite bars and had Susan put together a gift for Barbra and Audrey.
Barbra picked me up at SFO and we had a smooth and quick drive into the Mission where we met Lana at Foreign Cinema for dinner. We shared Fanny Bay and Kumamoto oysters. I had the house cured sardines, an espresso and the chevre cheesecake with blackberry compote and peach essence. I would return here in a heartbeat. My overall favorite place where we ate. (Big Man Japan projected through dinner was a special treat.)
Saturday morning, Audrey went to Berkeley Bowl to do her weekly shopping. I had a lovely brunch plate: heirloom tomato, local Brie, local pickle, local sauerkraut and a delectable salami.
Saturday night we met Rocky and Mark for dinner at Boca Nova in Jack London Square. I had the Dungeness crab deviled eggs and the BBQ pork ribs. I also tasted the sweet corn succotash, fried green tomatoes, mussels, and shrimp ceviche.
On Sunday, Barbra and I hiked in Muir Woods. From there we drove along the gorgeous Pacific coast to Point Reyes Station where we had lunch at Stellina. The Hog Island oysters were one of my two perfect bites of the trip. The candied bacon, caramelized onion, arugula and fontina pizza was also excellent. I ended with an espresso.
After lunch we strolled the town and made our way to Cowgirl Creamery. I picked up some cheese to bring home and some sweets to fortify us for the drive home. An espresso mousse and Earl Grey panna cotta.
Audrey made dinner for us Sunday night. We started with olives and pickle from Berkeley Bowl and the triple cream and Chimney Rock cheeses from Cowgirl Creamery. Audrey made some panko crusted baked chicken, barely fried eggplant and arugula pesto. Delish.
We met Saskia and Mary for lunch at Picante on Monday. I had my one Bay area burrito and it was utterly satisfying. I did not speak until I finished it. Carne asada with notes of cinnamon, refried beans, guacamole, cheese, salsa and crema...hold the rice. (I was uncomfortable walking around for the next two hours. I was so stuffed.) The Mexican coffee was very good, too.
Monday night we had dinner at one of Barbra and Audrey's favorite restaurants, Dopo. I have wanted to eat here for a long time and, boy, was it worth the wait. The albacore crudo crostini with anchovy was the other perfect bite of the trip. We also shared a plate of antipasto for three that included a beautifully batter-friend rock cod. We hauled butt over to Flavor Brigade for some Philly style frozen custard which was super good. (Better than Rita's!)
On Tuesday, I met Erik's childhood friend and a close friend of our family, Mike, for lunch at Pican. Those logs were beef brisket hush puppies. We shared those and I had the fried chicken with smoked gouda mac and cheese and a drizzle of truffle honey. I ended with an espresso.
That night we got takeout from Shan Dong, which is in Oakland's Chinatown. We got veggie dumplings and chicken dumplings. These are the best dumplings. Ever. While we were picking up our order, my eyes and stomach were drawn to the stacks of freshly made steamed pork buns. I had to have one. And ate it on the drive home.
We had leftovers for lunch on Wednesday. There's a dumpling, a hush puppy, some mac and cheese and the roasted broccoli and bacon I made to have with the Chinese food.
My last meal was in San Francisco, at Incanto, with Mary. My high expectations were not met. A bit uneven, the good was good, but not worth the money...at least not that night. I had the albacore crudo with smoked quail eggs and the handkerchief pasta with pork ragu with crispy fried duck eggs. Dessert was my favorite: chocolate crema, Meyer lemon mousse with salty shortbread and olive oil sorbetto. It sounded like a way too much mish mash, but it was unexpectedly well balanced and satisfying. And I ended with...an espresso.
I picked up some chocolate, for gifts and for myself, from Michael Mischer. I enjoyed all of it during this long and strange day-after-I-didn't-sleep-a-wink-on-the-redeye. Four truffles (espresso, orange, lavender honey and salted caramel) and an almond and salt dark chocolate bar. See the detail on the orange "skin"? Loved that.
Thanks for reading. The food was marvelous. For real. I don't think I will ever manage another foodie trip like this. It was really a lot of food...too much to sustain the total pleasure factor without some concentration if I'm being completely honest.
I am starting a Dragon's Way on Monday. Looking forward to it in every way.
Peace and love, more pics to come! The people, the canines, the nature, the architecture...
























3 comments:
Wow! So much excellent food....sounds like it was perfect!
Reading your blog devoted to how much you enjoy food makes me wish I enjoyed more variety. I only have this type of love for sugar and well that should be a forbidden love :-)
My aunt has created a book for my parents called The Foodruckers. It's all the places they eat at while my parents are in Florida. She takes a photo and then her and my uncle grade their meal. It's pretty funny. I told her she should create a blog called the Foodruckers. I'm going to send her the link to this posting. Maybe it will inspire her :-)
Thanks for reading, friends!
Post a Comment