Saturday, December 17, 2011

This little light of mine


Cap and I were able to go out to dinner for our anniversary last night.  Between Jay and her family arriving and Gem's is-he-or-isn't-he under-the-weatherness, we weren't sure how things would go. 

We went to Egan's after considering Mesob (Ethiopian) and Brick Lane (Indian).  It was too dim to photograph my most excellent meal.  I had half a dozen delectably briny oysters to start.  For my entree I had a special, NY strip steak crusted with bleu cheese and mushrooms.  It was scrumptious.  I had a lovely salad of greens in lieu of the mashed potatoes.

But, the star of the plates was the side of broccoli rabe that came with my steak.  Oh.  My.  God.  It had a sublime umami to it that I couldn't figure out.  So, so, so, so good.

Grateful to live in a town that's a foodie's delight.  Grateful for friends who will watch our kids on short notice.  Grateful for our income which allows for indulgences on special occasions.  Grateful for a life, and a season, of such bounty and light.

No comments: