Sunday, December 13, 2009
Cancer Vixen
Graphic novels are my speed this Fall. I can't seem to read anything else to completion. (I had Barbra Kingsolver's The Lacuna from the library for 2 weeks and couldn't get past chapter 2. And I love Barbara Kingsolver.)
Except Sports Illustrated articles. Some of which are quite informative and entertaining. Like this, this and this, all written by Selena Roberts. And read you know where...captive audience, that sort of thing.
But, I digress.
The good news is that there are enough great graphic novels out there to keep a part-time, yet highly selective, reader like me satisfied. And, for me, that I have a access to a fantastic online library system which allows me to search for titles (from a huge array of library systems), request them immediately or store them in a 'bookbag' for future borrowing, and pick them up at my local branch when I receive an e-mail alerting me of their arrival.
I read about Cancer Vixen in this NPR piece that highlights three graphic novels that don't involve "superpowers, fantasy worlds, horror, sci-fi or armed combat" :-)
If you may be interested in catching a glimpse into the life of a 43 year old New Yorker/cartoonist/fashionista as she discovers she has cancer and how her life proceeds from there through surgery, chemo, radiation, life with family (especially "(S)mother" :-), and love with her fiancé-husband, all without requiring gobs of time or attention span, then this book is for you.
The art is colorful, playful and smart. Marisa's got a clear voice and I found her story interesting.
The other graphic novels I've read this Fall: La Perdida, American Widow, Stitches, Rose, and some of the Bone series (pulled down from the kids' bookshelves).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I can't seem to finish any books lately either. Lucy likes Bone. Have you heard of Pride and Prejudice? I think Matt just ordered a copy for her.
The Pride and Prejudice graphic novel looks *so* cool! I hope Lucy likes it :-) If Lucy likes Bone, she may like Rose, which is a prequel to Bone. I got that one out of the library.
I didn't know there was a Pride and Prejudice graphic novel. Hmmm. I just finished the Watchmen which was very dark but also just so awesome. It's like I couldn't put it down, but I wanted to plow through so i could leave that world. I picked up a lot of cool tricks for my own GN though.
If you haven't read Blankets yet you must put it in your "bookbag". It's stunning.
I'll look into Vixen.
Yeah, Watchmen was awesome. Such darkness and dread...
Blankets is in my "bookbag" already :-) Thanks for the reminder!
Post a Comment