Thursday, December 10, 2009

Common meal: the morning after


I was pretty much on my own for common meal yesterday.  (Cap did make himself available to help the night before and baked two kinds of cookies---thanks, Cap :-)

As I struggle to do some financial accounting every day, I am also working on being more mindful of expenses.  So, when it came time to plan a menu for the meal, I went into the pantry, literally, to see what I could see.

Root vegetables is what I saw.  A lot of 'em.

I roasted 3 varieties of squash (butternut, kuri and kabocha), parsnips, beets, and red onion.  Tossed with canola oil, sea salt and herbes de Provence.  So simple to make and beautiful to look at...and very comforting to consume.  (Just allow plenty of time for the peeling and chopping and roasting.)

I immediately thought a simple green salad would be a nice counterpoint.  I was inspired by a kickass dressing my sister made at Sag's family birthday celebration.  (Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, mustard, maple syrup, salt, pepper and the wonderful ingredient that pulls it all together, a tiny dollop of grated onion.)

A protein seemed to be in order.  I've been eschewing meat at our gatherings because it's expensive to feed 14 when incorporating meat into the menu.  I still don't cook much with beans so my mind drifted towards tofu.

I found a 30-minute Mark Bittman recipe for curried tofu that was essentially GFCF (just subbed in Bragg's for the soy sauce) so I gave it a whirl.  It was a hit!  And so easy to make.  Another comforting dish.

D brought her scrumptious quinoa salad leftover from her office holiday potluck.  It was as delicious as it was pretty and festive.  I had some for breakfast this morning :-)

Clean up was not much of a hassle.  A testament to the simplicity of the dishes.

Have you tried any new recipes lately?  Do you have any "winter"/seasonal favorites that are warming your kitchens, friends, and bellies?

No comments: