Friday, September 26, 2008

Cavendish

Here is the secret project finally revealed. It is a throw I knit for Barbra and Audrey. Part thank you (they flew me out to Oakland for the visit) and part "state-sanctioned" wedding present (they got legally hitched on the occasion of their tenth wedding anniversary this summer :-)

The pattern is called "Cavendish" and was knit with one of my favorite brands of yarn to work with, Noro. I used 10 skeins of Noro Silk Garden (a blend of mohair and silk---this throw has magnificent drape and warmth).

I was as ecstatic as I look in these photos upon completion of the throw. I couldn't get over how stunning it looked off the needles, with the ends woven in, worn, thrown, folded up... It is a beauty.




I think it will bring Barbra and Audrey much coziness in the years to come. They deserve it for all the light and warmth they bring to others, including, lucky me.

By the time you're reading this, this gift will have changed hands, the secret revealed in real life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi -

It's just beautiful! You're inspiring me to get back to my own sewing machine...an interest I gave up when I became a full-time working mom!

Sue Gurry

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

What a gorgeous way to end the knitting for others you have been doing all year. It looks luxurious.

I hope you enjoy your weekend.

JET said...

Gorgeous! Love the colors. I'm sure they will treasure it for a long time.

shirley said...

Thanks for the compliments!

I went to a yarn shop here in Oakland today and showed some restraint, only getting one skein of sock yarn made locally.

I did some research tonight though, on a bag of Noro yarn I saw there which was on sale, and I may go back tomorrow to buy the bag.

It would be enough yarn to make the Fletcher sweater from the same Noro book I got the Cavendish pattern from.

It would be a *big* purchase for myself...