The kids and I went to the local yarn shop having the sale. They each were drawn to specific, different yarns.
Kinder's selection was startling to me...it was something I would never have picked up, and it's quite possible it would have never even registered on my brain as I visually scanned the skeins and skeins of yarn.
He hasn't shown much interest in my knitting, yarns, or yarn shopping, so my heart leaped when he said he saw something he liked.
You know, it was the feel of it that got him first, I think. I have to say, the shopkeepers were totally cool about the fact that my younger was enthusiastically and quite methodically either sticking his face into bunches of yarn or rubbing yarn all over and around his face (especially the region of his mouth and cheeks).
The yarn he selected was very smooth and kind of shiny. The color (Etsuko Blue) is not done justice in the picture at the website (see above). It's much richer and with a strong dark green undertone. I actually misread the label and thought that the color was called "bonsai" (and thought it appropriate), when it's actually the line that is called that!
And, of course, it wasn't on sale :-)
So I bought only one skein of it (had it been on sale, I was imagining making him a "vest" of chain mail for dress-up---the yarn has a metallic sheen to it), and am knitting up a skinny scarf. It's about the width of a necktie. The garter stitch is knitting up beautifully. I've been in a bamboo-bamboo zone, both yarn and needles coming from the same sustainable source.
And I actually really like the yarn! Thanks, Kinder, for pointing it out to me. I never would have known.
No comments:
Post a Comment