...transition?
Kinder doesn't eat much breakfast at all (sometimes he's happy to skip it---gets that from his daddy). First has slid into this habit of asking me what he can have and then rejecting every choice, his voice crescendo-ing into a whine of "what else? what else?" I get irritated.
So, yesterday I started putting out breakfast without asking the kids what they wanted. I made toast all around and both kids ate up silently after just a tiny yelp of protest. This morning, it's cereal. I've already eaten, their bowls and spoons and the boxes of cereal are out on the table. (First just ate with no protest at all!)
I hate this kind of grey, damp weather we have today.
I wish I could cast a vote in the democratic primary today, but I can't because I'm a registered independent. Then I think, but it's a not a vote-for-vote decision because the delegates aren't bound by the votes cast by the people. How confusing and strange.
I'm trying to get the taxes done, but am missing documentation here and there and am thwarted for now.
I'm living this balance (but it feels wobbly) of activities that we're invited to or that are open to us because of our membership in various homeschooling communities around us that my kids are not interested in participating in.
I think the natural next step will be transforming my perception of how we/they do spend our/their time. To see it in terms of what it is rather than what it isn't. And to let it take shape more organically.
In a way, I feel like I'm getting back on the ride...that I'm ready to continue what I consciously started thinking about back in early fall.
In part, the wobbly feeling is brought about as a remnant of my professional teacher self. I feel like I've "lost" time due to my own seasonal mood stuff and a slew of viral and bacterial attacks on us this winter.
But, it's all a state of mind. Because I do believe that we are all learning all the time (as John Holt says). And if you believe that, then you are never losing time.
2 comments:
You probably already did this, but just want to make sure you checked...here in CA you can request to vote on the Dem ticket as a Independent. You just have to ask for that ballot at the polls. Don't want you to miss an opportunity if there is one!
Primary fever is HIGH!
I've got Obama fever so bad that, yes, I did drop by my voting site to see if I could vote. And I could :-)
First was with me and helped me cast my vote. As we walked back to the car he said, "wow, I didn't know it was that easy to vote."
Post a Comment