Saturday, February 02, 2008

Persepolis and hollywoodland

I needed to get out of the house today. I've been so cooped up with all the illness we've been dealing with. Happily, Danielle was up for it and we walked down to the local art house and saw Persepolis.

It was well done. Triumphant, subtle and sad. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.

Movies have been my big escape lately.

Last night Hollywoodland was on HBO so I settled in and watched it. I really enjoyed Adrien Brody in The Darjeeling Limited and liked him in Hollywoodland, too. Ben Affleck was very good, as well. And I love Diane Lane. I saw A Little Romance on the big screen way back when and have been a fan of hers ever since. Some of her facial mannerisms in this movie kept reminding me of Kima on The Wire which was SO odd.

2 comments:

Julie_c said...

I saw Hollywoodland but it was pre-Wire for me, so I couldn't make the connection. However, thinking back, I think I get what you're talking about.

Haven't seen Persepolis yet. Mike and I have a movie night coming up. I'm hoping No Country For Old Men will be playing somewhere.

I did see Atonement. It was good, but not the sweeping romance that the trailers make it out to be.

shirley said...

Thanks for that feedback on Atonement. I kind of wanted to see it yesterday because I was in the mood for an epic, sweeping romance. Sounds like I would have been disappointed.

Had Danielle not already seen Juno, I'm sure we would have seen that. That is high in my list.

I'm interested in No Country For Old Men, but would see There Will Be Blood before it.