Thursday, February 07, 2008

The birds and the bees

A recurrent conversation as of late is how my boys plan on living with me forever. Kinder wants to live with First for the rest of his life, and First wants to live with me. So, the scenario is discussed from various angles in our talks.

This morning, First was trying to work out having babies. He wants to have kids when he grows up, but he's not very interested in getting married.

"I know! I can get the girl part of my baby from you, Äiti."

(I did an awesome job of not reacting---much patting of the self on the back.)

This was followed moments later with...

"Oh, but that won't work. Then my kid would be my brother or sister."

7 comments:

Julie_c said...

Oh. My. God. That is too funny! :)
Maybe he can adopt?

jet said...

Very cute! When I first moved into my apartment my nephew Josh (around 9 or 10 at the time) said that when he got older he would move into an apartment in the same building to be close to me.

shirley said...

His interest in adoption plummeted when I told him that, yes, it costs money to adopt :-)

Jay said...

I love him... more every day.

shirley said...

((((Tati)))) Your special love for him means so much to me.

translation workshop said...

Hey Shirl,
We adopted Ismael through a sliding-scale nonprofit agency, so the process actually didn't cost very much--probably less than a hospital birth. There's also fost-adopt as an even lower (or no) cost option. Anyway, not to get too complex, but just to remind that there are options (and evidently, lots of myths) out there re: adoption. I hope First's interest in it is piqued again after hearing this!
Love,
Activist Adoption Marcella

shirley said...

Thanks for the comment---I definitely took the lazy way out in answering his question.

I was very interested in adopting when we decided to start a family. Cap wanted bio kids and I wasn't averse to that so that's the path we went down.

When we were deemed fertility challenged I started actively researching adoption and was leaning towards fostering - adopting.

First's interest is piqued again :-)